Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Convocation in 2009

I always wanted to write something about my convocations ever since I came back from the ceremonies, yet, too many unforeseeble obstacles came in the way and i left my blog unattended for such a long time...Yes, they were 'Convocations' and 'Ceremonies'.


Most people would have only one single chance to attend their first degree convocation but mine was so much so different that I am one of the fews who were being invited to attend a second convocation somewhere in October after the first one in Mac 2009. Yes, two times....and I'm extremely grateful for the extraordinary experience. I felt absolutely different during both convocations. Yet, both convos had brought me the greatest satisfactory ever in my academic achievement.

On the eve of the First Convo, my family and I were invited to attend an exclusive dinner in the nearby hotel. During the dinner, I received my first honours of the convo, which was the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic and International) Gold Medal. Still I remember, my session fell on the last day of the First Convocation which reminded me the old days in the University whereby most of my papers would only finish on the last year despite the fact that the examination lasted for one month and I took only 6 papers. Interestingly, I was the first person among my coursemates and the last one to go on the stage for the degree conferment ceremony. Extremely excited and nervous.....and my heart was beating so fast that I could feel that it was almost popping. For three years I had been working so hard for this day and all my hardwork would soon be paid. My parents would see me receiving my first degree honours on the grand stage of the holy hall, and became the first graduate in the Yip's family. On the same day, I received the Young Expert Awards' and my first degree certificate. At the end of the day, I ended up with three certificates, but a bit disappointed that the highest honours were not being conferred during that time.

Few months after my First Convo, I was totally stunned by the news saying that I was awarded the Royal Education Award (Gold Medal) and it would be conferred by His Royal Highness Sultan of Kedah. The last-minute phone call from the University was received in my office ('last-minute culture' in my University) and I still remember, my tears dropped at the moment I was informed of the good news. To receive the awards, I had to make my way back to the University for my Second Convo. Being a mischievous gal as I always do, I rushed back to my hometown in Ipoh without informing my parents until the moment I reached home. At the night itself, we packed our stuffs and went to Kedah. Even though I had the experience attending the First Convo, I was totally out of my mind, keep on practicing the phrase 'Junjung Kasih Tuanku' (as I do not speak Malay often which resulted in a not-so-fluent tone). Great nervous and excitement~~~

There came the day. At last, I ended up in the first session of the Second Convo on the first day. Together with me were some Postgraduates and friends who were like me, waiting for our turn to go up to the stage in the hall. The highest honours: the Chancellor's Gold Medal was won by a lovely Yemen girl, whilst the Royal Education Awards by Gen (Raja Mahzan) and I. I wish to say congratulations to all the graduates....even thou it's slightly late...sorry guys...and I wish all the best to you all in your future endeavours~~


Mom, Dad and bro, thank you very much for all the encouragement and supports. I don't think I would manage to achieve all these without you all~~ Love you always!!

1 Comment:

  1. Jeslyn 碹佩 said...
    Congratulations to you ~~
    long time didnt hear your news already....so miss u and also very miss that time at UUM, when i feel very down and stress you will always give me a good advice and accompany me....

    hope everything dome smooth and great to you and your family...

    take care and keep in touch...

Post a Comment